Wednesday, July 23, 2008

About this blog

I'm Matt, a 22 year old engineering student at RIT.

I love all kinds of music. I listen to and play music constantly, and recently started recording some as well.

I'm setting up this blog to discuss music of all genres. My goal here is to write about whatever music I am listening to at the time, make some recommendations for people like me that flip through their music collection but don't know what to listen to or are just looking for something new to check out.

I'm sure there are people going "well what does he know." Well let me start by saying that I am not a classically trained musician, although I am pretty well versed in music theory and have my share of music history and discussion classes of all levels under my belt. I also have been playing guitar for 12 years or so (about 8 years of lessons), taught myself some piano and drums, and mess around with pretty much any instruments with strings (mandolin, balalaika, etc), and recently set up a small recording studio in my apartment where I work on my own minor projects. However, I listen to music all the time, but leisurely and critically, and love to talk about it.

You will rarely find me criticizing negatively. I plan on talking mostly about what I like and what I think other people will like. There is a difference between music that is "good" or "interesting" or just "catchy." I try to distinguish these, so don't be surprised if some music that I discuss is not easily accessible or listenable to those that aren't musicians and mostly listen to catchy, radio-friendly songs, but somewhere along the line I'll stumble onto something that you will like. I also won't be going "this is good, this sucks." I want to discuss and will try to back my opinions up with arguments. I hopefully will talk about music of all genres, but I tend to listen to classic rock, blues, alternative, acoustic/folk, and things like that, so there might be more of this kind of stuff, but I do reach out to other stuff too.

I also know that I don't know everything, but I always want to know more, so if you disagree about something let me know and we'll discuss. Like I said I'm always looking for more music to listen to so if anyone has anything they think I should check out or write about let me know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment